Update on Coronavirus (COVID-19) from YWAM Zion
19 March 2020
Greetings from New Zealand
Our nation currently has only a few confirmed cases of the virus. The Ministry of Health predicts the chance of a community wide outbreak in NZ is low, although there are likely to be more isolated cases. To slow this, Prime Minister Jacinda Arden announced strict border measures to travel to NZ requiring all new arrivals to NZ to self-isolate for 2 weeks. A review of this is scheduled to follow in 14 days.
We aim to be cautious and wise, not led by fear or panic. At YWAM Zion we are committed to:
- Monitoring developments and following guidelines from government agencies.
- Implementing further measures at our campus to minimize the spread of any virus including additional cleaning and personal hygiene procedures. We are also preparing contingency plans should any of our people here be required to self-isolate.
- Timely and relevant communication with all our participants and campus residents about important changes and updates related to COVID-19.
As this is a dynamic and rapidly changing situation we are having to adapt quickly and take things as they come. Please see the below updates as of today, and we will provide further updates as necessary.
- January 2020 Discipleship Training School participants are making their way home. We will work with them to complete DTS remotely with pastoral support.
- July 2020 Discipleship Training School is still scheduled to run. New applications are still welcome. We encourage potential participants to monitor travel restrictions and to purchase flexible fares should unforeseen changes arise.
We request that the family and friends of students and volunteers currently at YWAM Zion continue to contact their loved ones directly if they have further questions at this point. Please contact the base at firstname.lastname@example.org if your concern is of an urgent nature.
We invite you to join us in prayer as we stand in unity together with Christians worldwide. We have dedicated our lecture hall to be a place of constant prayer and worship for current residents as we contend for breakthrough against this virus.
For current status of COVID-19 in New Zealand, see Ministry of Health: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
For latest travel restrictions, see New Zealand immigration: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/media-centre/news-notifications/coronavirus-update-inz-response
“Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you His peace at all times and in every way.
The Lord be with you all.”
2 Thessalonians 3:16